Synergy is a useful tool for sharing a keyboard and mouse between two computers without all those annoying KVM cables. All you need is a network connection for the two.
Server Computer Setup
- download and install the exe
- select (*) share this computer’s keyboard and mouse (server)
- Click the Configure… button
- Uder the Screens box, click the + button
- Add a screen for the server. Type the host name into the Screen Name textbox. To find the host name for your computer, type ipconfig /all in a cmd box and look for “Host Name”. My laptop’s hostname is D4LMXG91. click OK
- Repeat the process and add a new screen for the host computer’s host name. My host is D4LMXG92
- Under Links, select the [New Link] item and then fill out the boxes so they say: “0 to 100% of the left of [server name] goes to 0 to 100% of [host name]. Then click on the + button.
- select the [New Link] item again and fill out the options so they say: “0 to 100% of the right of [host name] goes to 0 to 100% of [server name]“. click on the plus
- Click OK
- Click Start.
Host Computer Setup
- install the software
- select (*) Use another computer’s shared keyboard and mouse (client).
- Type in the IP address of the server computer
- Click Start
You should now be able to move the mouse off the left of the server computer and land on the right side of the host computer. In addition, they now share a clipboard. Not too shabby, eh?